Huevos en Cazuela
2 poblano chiles
2 jalapeno chiles
3 tablespoons unsalted butter
1 onion, sliced
1 garlic clove, minced
1 tomato, peeled, seeded and chopped
3-4 tablespoons ham, minced (or sausage, cooked)
Salt and pepper
8 eggs, room temperature
4 -6 ounces monterey jack cheese, grated (or Telme Cheese or Queso Fresco)
12 Tia Lupita Cactus Corn Masa Tortillas, warmed in a pan with a little olive oil
Hot Lupita Hot Sauce
1. Preheat broiler.
2. Butter 4 2-cup souffle or other individual baking dishes and set aside.
3. Arrange the chiles on a broiler pan and broil 3 inches from heat, turning until charred (5-10 minutes). Transfer to plastic or paper bag and seal tightly. Let steam for 10 minutes. Peel chiles and cut in half. Discard seeds, veins and cores. Rinse under cold water and dry. Cut into julienne. Set aside.
4. In a large saucepan, melt butter over medium heat. Add onion and garlic and cook until translucent, stirring occasionally (10 minutes). Add chiles and cook another 5 minutes. Remove from heat.
5. Stir in tomato and ham (or sausage).
6. Return to heat and cook until liquid is absorbed. Season with salt and pepper.
7. Using a slotted spoon divide mixture among dishes. (May be prepared one day ahead and refrigerated).
8. To serve: preheat broiler.
9. Warm dishes in broiler for 2 minutes.
10. Break 2 eggs into each dish and season with salt and pepper. Sprinkle with enough cheese to cover yolks completely.
11. Broil eggs as close to heat source as possible until whites are firm and cheese is melted and brown (3-5 minutes).
12. Serve with Tia Lupita Cactus Corn Masa Tortillas and Tia Lupita Hot Sauce.