● 2-3 Pounds Boneless Skinless Chicken Breasts - trimmed of excess fat
● 1 Red Onion – diced
● 2 Chipotle Peppers in Adobo – roughly chopped
● 2 tsp Tia Lupita Chipotle Hot Sauce
● 1 ½ tsp Cumin
● 2 tsp Dried Oregano
● 5 Cloves Garlic – minced, (divided)
● ½ Cup + 2 tbsp Lime Juice - (divided)
● 1 tbsp Honey - (divided)
● 1 tsp Kosher Salt
● ¼ tsp Ground Pepper
● 1 12 ounce bottle of your favorite beer (and a few extras for you and your amigos)
Baja Sauce (yield 1 cup):
● 1 Jalapeno – roughly chopped
● ½ Cup Cilantro – roughly chopped and loosely packed
● 1 tsp each cumin, garlic powder, chile powder
● ½ Cup Mayonnaise
● ½ Cup Sour Cream or Greek Yogurt
● A few drops of Tia Lupita Salsa Verde
1. Make cooking sauce: In a medium bowl, whisk together the chipotle peppers, Tia Lupita Chipotle Hot Sauce, cumin, oregano, 4 cloves of garlic, ½ cup of lime juice, 2 tsp honey, salt and pepper. Pour over the chicken.
2. Add ingredients to the slow cooker: Place the onions in the bottom of a slow cooker. Arrange the chicken on top of the onions in a single layer. Pour the cooking sauce over the chicken. Pour the beer on top.
3. Cook the chicken: Cover the slow cooker with a lid. Cook on low for 4-6 hours, or until the chicken is tender, shreds easily and registers an internal temperature of 165 degrees F on an instant read thermometer. Alternatively, chicken can be cooked on high for 2-3 hours.
4. Meanwhile, make the Baja sauce: In the bowl of a food processor add the remaining clove of garlic, jalapeno and cilantro. Pulse to roughly chop, scraping down the sides of the bowl as needed. Add in the remaining 2 TBS lime juice, 1 tsp honey, cumin, garlic powder and chile powder, mayonnaise, sour cream/yogurt and Tia Lupita Salsa Verde. Process to combine. Taste and adjust for seasoning with salt and pepper. If a thinner sauce is desired, add in a splash or two of water. Transfer to the refrigerator to allow the flavors to marry.
5. Shred the chicken: Remove the lid and while the chicken is still warm, either shred the chicken with 2 forks right in the slow cooker, or transfer the chicken to a cutting board to shred. Toss the shredded chicken with the cooking liquid in the slow cooker. Use a slotted spoon or tongs to transfer the chicken to a serving bowl*.
6. Assemble the tacos: Divide the chicken among tortillas. Top with desired garnishes and drizzle with baja sauce. Enjoy!
Tia Tip: Spray tortillas with a little olive oil and warm in a hot pan just before serving.